Chop suey literally means "assorted pieces" it's a Chinese-American dish consisting of meats,often chicken, cooked quickly with vegetables. It is typically served with rice.
In Filipino Cuisine, there are varieties of ways to cook Chop suey… different regions has its own version of cooking this menu…at home we have our own version of this menu and I would love to share it with you ....and for sure you will love it too as much as we do!!!
1) the secret here is on how well you saute the ingredients (make sure nagisang maigi)
2) letting the chicken secrete its natural water and oil when simmering will definitely give you a savory taste chop suey.
· 1/4 kilo chicken, sliced into small pieces
· 1/4 kilo shrimps, shelled, deveined and halved
· 1/4 kilo chicken liver and gizzard, sliced to small pieces
· 1/4 kilo cauliflower, broken to bite size
· 1/4 kilo snow peas (sitsaro)
· 1/4 kilo cabbage, cut into squares
· 3-5 cloves garlic, diced
· 1 onions, diced
· 1 carrot, sliced thinly
· ¼ cup soy sauce
· 1 cup hot water
· 1 pinch Umami seasoning (MSG)
· In a big pan, sauté well garlic (until golden brown), then onion…
· Add chicken and chicken liver and gizzard, mix the shrimp then sauté and simmer covered for 3-5 minutes (let the chicken secrete its natural water and oil inside)
· Add ¼ cup soy sauce, 1 pinch MSG, mix it well
· Add 1 cup hot water, simmer covered until it boils
· Add all the vegetables. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are done.
· Serve hot with rice.